PPG Platinum Distributor
Contact Us Online

Rule 40 Deadline has passed!


Some of you may know that the DEADLINE for paint shop compliance to the HHHHHH rule (also known as rule 40) is Jan. 10, 2011.  What you may not know is that pre-compliance Initial Notification of intent to comply was due to the EPA this past January (01/11/10).  PPG has dedicated a page on their website to help you weed through and understand the nature of the rule:
http://www.ppg.com/coatings/refinish/en/safetyhealth/Pages/RulesRegs.aspx.  Exemption from the rule is possible, but verification and proof of product use would still be needed. If you have questions about the rule,

PPG and Ben’s stand ready to help you find the answers.  Formal written notification of compliance with the rule needs to be submitted to the EPA by Mar. 10, 2011.

PPG has recently scheduled some special certification classes.  The fee is $25.00. Classes are 2 hours. Check out the course description and call your nearest Ben’s location to get the process going.

Ben’s, DeVilbiss and Iwata have also teamed up to help out.  Click here to see our photo gallery.

The Iwata Co. has a simple summary to help you understand what’s going on.  Depending on scheduling, Iwata may be able to hold a certification class for you in-shop, if you haven’t been able to attend one of the classes mentioned above earlier this year.

Matthews Paint users click here for Matthews advice

EPA Help

The EPA has a couple forms to help you:

You can fax the completed notification form to the Region IV EPA office in Atlanta at 404-562-9095.

If you have questions and would like to talk to an EPA representative directly, contact Paul Wagner at 404-562-9100, or Lee Page at 404-562-9131.  There is also a special website set up for the collision industry www.epa.gov/collisionrepair

If you use Aquabase or Envirobase HP waterborne basecoats, you stand a much better chance of exemption.

Read the following notices from PPG:


Do I Need to Stop Using Standard Methylene Chloride Paint Stripper?

No, you are just restricted to no more than 200 gallons per year and you need to document what you use.  Here is a form from Klean-Strip to help you do just that:  Paint Stripper Usage Chart